2012 marks the 200th anniversary of the publishing of Grimm's Fairy Tales. Bremen is at the northern end of Germany's tourist-friendly Fairy Tale Road: move south from the Musicians at Bremen, standing on each other to see into the robbers' house; and find Hamelin, and the Pied Piper, then Sababurg with its Sleeping Beauty castle (others are found in other countries), Kassel and the Grimm Museum, Waldeck and Marburg where the famous medieval university -- the first Lutheran university -- still lures. The Brothers Grimm attended there. Frankfurt, near where the brothers Grimm were born, is at the southern end. Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, the eldest of the five Grimm children, were sent to live in Kassel with their aunt, when their father died and their mother was in dire straits.
Following any prefab tourist road is good for the nervous, and useful as a side benefit for the rovers. The Financial Times lays it all out at its Life & Arts section p. 9, from April 21-22, 2012. See also www.deutsche-maerchenstrasse.com.
Other kits for travel:
- The Alpine Road, at http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure-and-recreation/scenic-routes/german-alpine-road.html;
- The Romantic Road, at http://www.romanticroadgermany.com/;
- The Wine Road [less known towns, many bordering France] at http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure-and-recreation/scenic-routes/german-wine-route.html; see also the Nahe Wine Route and the Saxon Wine Route and Moselle Wine Route at http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure-and-recreation/scenic-routes/scenic-routes.html
- the Castle Road, see http://www.avantidestinations.com/EVWeb/landing/castleroad.htm [includes Heidelburg, Rothenburg on the Tauber, Nuremberg];
- Megalithic Cultures, see http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure-and-recreation/scenic-routes/scenic-routes.html. And a toy route at that site, a football route, a half-timbered houses route, a House of Orange route, a Weser Renaissance route, a Niebelung-Siegfried route, a German Avenues route, a German Limes route (what??); the Thuringia Castle road, a Bergstrasse route, a Baroque route, a Fen route, and a German motorbike routs.
These get overwhelming. Best to go, and see what happens in your path.